A transportation worker who has violated DOT regulations must follow specific procedures before being considered by an employer for return to safety-sensitive function. A SAP credentials packet is available for employers or others wishing to confirm my qualifications under DOT rules.
This process, conducted by a qualified Substance Abuse Professional (SAP), includes:
- Conducting an initial face-to-face clinical evaluation, including standardized testing.
- Developing recommendations for treatment and/or education.
- Sending an initial evaluation report to the employer or, if employee has been released from employment, maintaining information for future employer.
- Assisting the employee in contacting the treatment provider and arranging for services.
- Maintaining regular contact with the treatment provider, to monitor the employee's treatment progress.
- Conducting a face-to-face, follow-up clinical evaluation to determine if the employee has complied with recommendations, and to measure success of treatment.
- Sending a follow-up report and follow-up testing plan to the employer.
- It is up to the employer to determine whether or not the employee returns to work, not the SAP.
- If the employee has been released from employment, this information is held for the future employer.
Tom Rue, MA, LMHC, CASAC, a mental health counselor since 1985 and a credentialed alcohol and substance abuse counselor since 1996 (certified through the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium [IC&RC]), completed fourteen (14) contact hours of training in October 2012, successfully completing the exam requirement later the same month, both sponsored by the Employee Assistance Professionals Association. This training and exam meet the requirements of 40 CFR Part 40.281(c), Qualification Training for Federal DOT Regulations and Assessment Requirements for the Substance Abuse Professional (SAP).
If you are seeking to schedule an appointment for an assessment, call 845-513-5002. Please be prepared to provide the following information during the initial call or fax it in advance to 866-428-0282:
- Your name, title, company name, address, phone number
- DOT Mode, i.e., FMCSA, FRA, FTA, FAA, RSPA or USCG
- Employee name, address, phone number
- Social security number
- Date of birth
- Violation and date of violation
- Current employment status
- Name of Designated Employer Representative (DER)
- Who is responsible for payment? If employer is, provide name and phone number of DER for verification and arrangements.
For an additional fee, the SAP can conduct ongoing monitoring following the employee's return to work, including monthly in-person interviews and revision of the employee's follow-up testing program, when appropriate.
If fees are paid by the employer, full payment can be forwarded to the SAP at the time of the referral or SAP will provide an invoice when initial report is sent.
If fees are paid by the client, full-payment is required prior to the evaluation. Payment must be in exact amount by cash or money order.
For more information, visit dot.gov/odapc/sap and DOT/FMCSA Drug & Alcohol Testing Program: Substance Abuse Professionals
See my listing on SAP List listing.
I have been registered since May 17, 2016 with the State of North Carolina, Division of Motor Vehicles, Commercial Driver License Unit, in that state's Professional SAP Directory of US DOT qualified SAPs. I welcome requests by other states or organizations for inclusion in their networks of verified providers.